Well, we blinked and it got cold. Because…welcome to Chicago. While the chillier temps may have snuck up on us outside, we can still be prepared inside. Get to the kitchen and whip up this delicious (and healthful!) comfort food recipe our own optician/personal trainer Matt Cochrane gave us last year. We promise you’ll love it, and it will certainly help keep you warm!
As a native of the Midwest, I am no stranger to the irresistible urge to come home, curl up under a blanket, and eat mashed potatoes while the fury of winter rages outside the window. As a personal trainer (and Visionary optician), my health-nut guilt rivals my desire to carb-load. Especially at the holidays where mashed potatoes are a staple, I crave warm, white, fluffy amazingness inside when there is cold, white, fluffy awfulness outside. Moderation is key, so I don’t believe in denying myself foods I want or overly restricting my diet. But sometimes, you need mashed potatoes every day…or I do. So in order for me to quell my guilt, I have developed a love for recipe rehab. Here is one of my favorites.
Mock Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time 20 minutes | Cook Time 10 Minutes | Total Time 30 minutes | Serves 8-10
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 1 Head Cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 3 C. Cooked Cannellini Beans
- ½ C. Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley, sliced (chives would also work well)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced garlic, and cook until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place 1-2 inches of water in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place cauliflower in a steam basket and place in pot. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine garlic-infused oil, cauliflower, cannellini beans, vegetable broth, and parsley, and puree until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed, and season with salt and pepper.