As a native of the Midwest, I am no stranger to the irresistible urge to come home, curl up under a blanket, and eat mashed potatoes while the fury of winter rages outside the window. As a personal trainer (and Visionary optician), my health-nut guilt rivals my desire to carb-load. Especially at the holidays where mashed potatoes are a staple, I crave warm, white, fluffy amazingness inside when there is cold, white, fluffy awfulness outside. Moderation is key, so I don’t believe in denying myself foods I want or overly restricting my diet. But sometimes, you need mashed potatoes every day…or I do. So in order for me to quell my guilt, I have developed a love for recipe rehab. Here is one of my favorites.
Mock Mashed Potatoes
Prep Time 20 minutes | Cook Time 10 Minutes | Total Time 30 minutes | Serves 8-10
- 1 Tbs. Olive Oil
- 2 Cloves Garlic, sliced
- 1 Head Cauliflower, roughly chopped
- 3 C. Cooked Cannellini Beans
- ½ C. Vegetable Broth
- 2 Tbs. Fresh Parsley, sliced (chives would also work well)
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- Heat oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. Add sliced garlic, and cook until slightly browned.
- Meanwhile, place 1-2 inches of water in a large pot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat.
- Place cauliflower in a steam basket and place in pot. Cover and steam until fork tender, about 10 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In a food processor, combine garlic-infused oil, cauliflower, cannellini beans, vegetable broth, and parsley, and puree until smooth. Scrape down the sides as needed, and season with salt and pepper.